Passport Photo Requirements
Need a new passport photo for a renewal? The requirements are below. You can take your own passport photo at home, or use a professional service. And if you are ready to renew your passport, click here.
- Passport pictures must be color.
- Passport photos must be 2" x 2", with the head centered.
- Passport photos must be “taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.”
- Passport photos must be “taken in front of a plain white or off-white background.”
- Passport photos must be “taken in full-face view directly facing the camera.”
- Make sure that you have a “neutral facial expression and both eyes open.”
- Your passport picture should be “taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis.”
- “Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.”
- When taking your own photo, “do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.”
- “Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.”
- “Eyeglasses are no longer allowed in new visa photos, except in rare circumstances when eyeglasses cannot be removed for medical reasons.”